Monday, January 9, 2012

Travels in Shadowfane: Terra's First Adventure

Contributor: Valerie H./Terra
Submission: IG fictive account of Terra's first time in Shadowfane.
LARP system: Madrigal / Accelerant
Your Location: Virginia, USA
Character name: Terra
Years LARPing: 8

From the same universe as Zephyr, Terra is a shaman in the Shadowfane universe. This is her fictive account of her first time LARPing in Shadowfane. Terra, live her fellow players, is a PC-- this first-time narrative is a description of her "travels as a new adventurer" in Shadowfane. The Seekers are a popular group in Shadowfane-- they are friendly, welcoming, and active members of the Shadowfane community. Terra, a dedicated members of the Seekers, will reveal more about this important Shadowfane group. (In fairness, I should mention Grum's Company, another much beloved Shadowfane group to which Zephyr's belongs. It is something of a cult. We will see more Grum's Company in entries to come.)
Terra is a shaman, in the Madrigal universe. She gains her powers, healing and some combat, by ritual communion with dead ancestors. In LARP, shaman and/or other animistic powers are common. While some might argue stereotypical and generalized, they are opportunities for people to explore other religions and belief systems. People are respectful, creative, and nuanced. Racist and simplified portrayals are criticized and questioned by some members of the LARP community. I invite people to comment, respectfully, on LARP portrayals of belief system and ritual. LARP has some diversity, but it needs much more. I am endlessly thankful to Valerie/Terra for sharing the Shaman experience.



Travels in Shadowfane
Spring 1519, Day One
It had been many days since I had met with Alexander and Airethil. Many days since I had given them the letters from the High Church, and was welcomed into the group known as the Seekers of the Crimson Shroud. We were to gather in Shadowfane, where I would meet other members of the Seekers, and look for clues and answers to our many questions about the Ancient Protectors. Before I headed to Shadowfane, I wanted to look south towards my homelands, one last time, for any sign of what happened to my family. When I did not find any, I made my way to what people have called "civilization".

On the way into Shadowfane, I saw other people traveling there as well. There were two large elven men and an elven female, a large man with blue marks upon his face, and a small human male. One of the large elven men introduced himself to me as Nev'lith Mournblade, and he was a member of the Seekers as well. He had grey markings of vines upon his face. The other two elves were introduced to me later as Timbermane and 'Lise. Their real names are too long for me to say or remember. The male with the blue markings upon his face, his name escapes me-- but the other was Rolland. When we were just outside of Shadowfane, the group of us came upon a man, who called himself Alejandro of the Crimson Shroud.

Alejandro showed us around Shadowfane and explained to us many of the things that happened within it. He showed us to the various points of interest, such as the White Court temple and the Crimson Gate, and then asked for help to save a messenger that had been captured. We all agreed, and followed him to a location where we fought, and saved the messenger. When we got back to town, we all went our separate ways.

While wandering into town, I noticed that there was a large battle going on. I later discovered that the heroes of Shadowfane were fighting the enemies of the East. If a person were to fall in battle, a powerful trance would take their spirit, and move it towards their watery portal. If they reached the portal, they would go into the watery depths and die. In Shadowfane, it is easy to tell if someone has died. Their spirit will ring a bell for Death to hear and give them their judgment. Luckily as I walked into town, I found Riana - a member of the Seekers. I asked her many questions throughout the battle, and when [I was knocked unconcious, and into a trance] she found someone to help me get out of my trance.

After the battle was over, I found Airethil, and told him that I needed to find a shaman named Ragnar. He called for him, and sure enough [Ragnar] came. After introductions and telling him how I came to find him and his name, he showed me around Shadowfane. The first stop on the trip was to his circle of bones, so that I could [replenish my healing abilities] by speaking with the ancestors. On the way to the circle of bones I met several people, most of which were in Ragnar's [traveling group]- Grum's Company. A very friendly group of people, but many were of races that I had never seen before. Creatures called trolls, shoathri, anakeths, and shiven - all very much different than the people I have known all of my life.

On our way around Shadowfane, I saw the Crimson Gate, and Ragnar also showed me where the White Court temple was, and shortly after we ran into some of the shamans in the area. One of the shamans that Ragnar introduced me to was named Rekka. She was a very witty and wise shaman from what I could tell. She wore a beautiful headdress of furs and spoke with such knowledge. Lodi and Krengle showed up to join the conversation as well, two shamans within Shadowfane. Lodi was well spoken, and wore [only simple] colors of black and yellow. From what I have been told, he is a member of a group called House Beacon.

Many things were mentioned while we were talking. Lodi and Ragnar asked Rekka questions about things that were going on and Krengle told some stories that I think led to questions. He speaks using many terms I am not familiar with, and it was hard to understand what he was speaking about. The only thing I gathered from his talks was that he was talking about the theory of how malediction came into the world - things to do with a bone flute and the music that was played upon it.

I had traveled very far, and as the conversation went on I grew very tired. Some creatures came to attack us, and when they were taken care of, I said my goodbyes to Ragnar, Rekka, and Krengle (Lodi had already left) and I went back to the cabin where the Seekers were staying. I set up my sleeping place, said my goodnights to Father and Fengrove and went to sleep.
Here ends Part One.
What questions do you have? Terra is experienced in Shadowfane, and is one of a small number of Shaman players. Would you like more information about other characters? What is complicated? Do you want to learn more about malediction? Do you want to hear more about Madrigal religion?

6 comments:

  1. ((Yes. But I am bias hehehe ^_^))

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait... Alejandro is in the Crimson Shroud?! O.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Alejandro wears many hats. At the beginning of the Madrigal 2 plot arc Alejandro was the sole remaining member of the Crimson Shroud. The rest had gone through the gate and disappeared. When I first began playing I primarily viewed that NPC through the lens of him being the hook for the Crimson Shroud plot my group was pursuing.

    Of course as often happens over time more and more things were discovered and revealed about the Alejandro character, and recent plot developments have sort of over shadowed his Crimson Shroud membership. It is something that is very easy to not notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You miss everything Chris. Write things down. I'm not going to help anymore.
    George, glad you could make it! I avoid Alejandro because I am not a Seeker. I am interested. It is a lot of information. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alejandro is by no means the Seeker's NPC, and he never was. That has always been the funny thing about Alejandro. Unlike many NPC's, Alejandro is the go to person for several different groups and plots. He was in fact sort of over extended that way. He used to show up in town and all the various groups he was involved with (of which the Seekers is but one) would run over and go "Is it me? Is it us? Are you here for our plot? No, you are here for the other guys this time? Oh, okay. Well, nice to see you. By the way, when you are ready to do our plot we'll be over here waiting. Don't be a stranger!"

    But I do know where you are coming from. It is in a way a side effect of the game's strength in presenting tailored plot to different groups. It is very easy to slip into the mindset of assigning NPC's to the group that they "belong to", and feeling awkward about taking the time of another group's NPC. It is something I struggle with all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair enough. I am so good with alterna-fane and Shetra right now. #^_^# That's my web face.

    ReplyDelete