Saturday, January 7, 2012

Newbie Observations

Contributor: Amanda/"Istamira"

Submission: The 3rd in a series of IG and OoG written commentary from a "novice LARPer"
LARP System: Accelerant
Location: Boston, USA
PC Name: Istamira "Mira" Nascirus
Years LARPing: 0 years, 7 months 



Website: Istamira's Quill

In and out of character commentary from a novice larper. Character names, places, and sometimes even plot specifics may be changed or altered to protect readers from horrible knowledge that could threaten the very fiber of the universe! ... or something like that.







By the end of my first ever larping event, I'd learned a lot. Not just in the ways of fighting, but the ways the events in general seemed to work...


Observation 1: Fresh Meat


For a roleplay fiend like me, the story telling and spontaneous player interaction aspects of larping were my primary interest. No disappointment on that front! And yet, at the same time, I quickly got the feeling that the other players were behaving oddly towards me. By the next day, I finally placed what it was. 


The cutest thing about the second day at an event as a new person is: everyone wants to ask you if you’re having fun larping, but they can’t ask you out of character, so they invent creative ways of asking in character.

“Hail, well met. How do you find your time in town? Were you planning to live here?”
“Pleasure to meet you. Are you liking the town so far? Do you intend to stick around?”
“So what do you think? Uh, by that I mean… do you think you might pass through these parts again some day?”


It’s very endearing and welcoming, but hilarious at the same time; it’s like watching someone process a mini-puzzle in their head. You could tell that they really hoped you were having fun, and that you'd stick around so they'd have one more player for the mix.


Observation 2: Adoration of the NPC


I'd also concluded that the staff really bring the game to life for the players – particularly the reoccurring characters. But it’s more than the awesome costuming. Mentioning any regular NPC would generate an automatically concerned or interested response from any player I met. The characterization is so distinctive that most PCs could – and would – imitate the NPC in question with astonishing accuracy. This phenomenon extends to many PCs as well. Players frequently know exactly what traits and mannerisms distinguish one character from another. For example: every time I mentioned that I met my friend “In an inn in northern naporea” the response I would get was “yep, that’s something so and so would say”. And it WAS something he said! In any conversation, you knew exactly who someone was talking about by their portrayal, even if you didn’t remember the PC’s name.


Players seemed to love the NPCs dearly. I’d say they love them as dearly as they love other PCs. Any time one appeared they'd spread the word and swarm for the NPC like a pack of playful puppies, yipping the character’s name and clamoring for attention. That attention was given freely – NPCs spent as much time as possible speaking with any who needed them, and they rarely disappeared if there is anyone still chirping their name. It’s the living incarnation of the affection you might have towards a favorite character in a novel if it jumped out of the pages and walked around with you. It’s roleplaying paradise.

Observation 3: Phenomenal Action, Ity Bity Time Window


I also quickly learned how exhausting larping could be. No matter how little combat you did (I being a coward did precious little my first game), you were still worn out. Man can they cram in the action in very short time frames! I was expecting the last day to go somewhat like it does at my favorite tradeshows – that last day is basically hangover morning + packing to leave, and some socializing.
Oh no.
No no and no.
Oh contrare.
By the final morning we were still romping around, flinging plot, and duking it out in the woods like the days and nights that came before. But all good things come to an end, and so too did my first game.


Observation 4: SHINIES!!!!


I decided that after-game clean up was a good opportunity to glance “behind the scenes” a little for a fully rounded experience (and it turns out that by helping you actually got some character some perks). To be honest I just wanted to mingle with everyone out of game a bit, having spent 3 solid days in only in-character introductions. Clean up was a great chance for that. And after they'd put on such a great performance, it seemed only fair to help clean up what I’d enjoyed.
Sweet mother of all gods do they have a lot of equipment! The assets for this thing were as numerous and robust as any theater production with which I’d ever been involved. I can’t remember the last time I saw so much great costuming and so many cool props in one place. Being a halloween baby and a performance geek, I was absorbed. Then I discovered the large bin of all glittery, sparkly, make up & costume bits. Oh man, I LOVE shiney things! If it would not have been completely bizarre and detrimental to getting things put away, I would have frolicked in it all like catnip.


Now when I say that I went to my first game "alone" that's not entirely true. I was alone on the player side, but I had travelled with a friend of mine, also new to larping, who opted to try life as a newbie on the NPC side of the fence. After the game, we traded war stories, and NPC life was just as fascinating and varied. He spoke of how NPCing was a good place for him to start because he could be a bit more fearless and careless. If you die, you just respawn, right? I told my friend that I wanted to NPC, but started as a PC for two reasons:
  1. Experiencing an event as a PC would allow me to know how NOT to make PCs miserable as an NPC. What kind of stuff got on my nerves so I could avoid doing it to someone else?
  2. If I sucked at larping, but didn’t know anyone, no hard feelings – we’d never meet again and there’d be no harm/no foul.
Needless to say I’d accomplished neither of those goals. NPCing is appealing, but PCing turned out to be so much of a blast that I wanted to stick with it. I was definitely bad at larping, but planned to do it again. It was a case of goal failure I didn't mind so much.

This is the third in a series. Please share, and leave feedback in the comments.
To get you started... what was your first event? Did you experience the physical and emotional exhaustion that Amanda experiences? Would you recommend NPCing or PCing for newcomers? Why is NPCing an important part of the LARP experience?

Part One

7 comments:

  1. Another awesome post, and another way for me to get on one of my many soap-boxes... (and since Mira NPCs, I'm ok with this).

    I have heard some people SWEAR AGAINST NPCing as your first-time LARPing. Understandable, but not always true. NPCing, in many ways, is a different social experience than PCing. You get to know people. You get to see how a LARP works. Admittedly, for a lot of people, the first-game is the high-drama, explosion of what a LARP can do. (My first event was as a Madrigal PC.) People argue that NPCing-first kills the magic-- maybe, but that magic is only going to last so long. Moreover, did Madrigal PCing get me hooked? It got me interested, for sure. Did it get me *hooked*? Absolutely not. NPCing Endgame did. (Thanks Endgame!) It was hard. It was brutal. It was emotional (crying PCs! everywhere!). I wanted more.

    Did I see the strings behind the puppet? Yep. Did I meet the man-behind-the-curtain? Yep (he and his huge team are great). Was it still as cool? Much cooler, actually. I was contributing. I was creating. Can you do this with PCing? Of course. I love PCing, and I PC two games. I NPC, at least, 4 regularly.

    My community did not expand through PCing. My passion for LARP, and my networks, developed through NPCing. If you don't have experience as an NPC? Man, I'm sorry. You are missing most of LARP.

    Also... NPCing-before-PCing is a good way to get into the game. You learn more quickly. You make connections. It's free. I roll my eyes, loudly, at people who swear by PCing first. Yes, it does work for many. NPCING WORKS TOO. Especially if your comfort zone is "What the hell is LARPing?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh but Mira *doesnt* NPC! Not yet at least. Totally planned on it but got addicted to PCing. She does have two friends who've NPC'd. One liked it so much that he sticks with that. The other is starting up as a PC next game. ;)

    We actually had a pretty deep discussion about this over at the Quill, so I guess I'll have to submit that one next lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't recommend Endgame highly enough. We have no NPCs. (It's me, Chris, some super awesome experienced saints, and staff. A few people try to help, but it's pretty bad turnout.) They will feed you. They will give you awesome roles. They will comfortably house you. The PCs are some of my favorites in Accelerant. The game is ending, but I'd like to make it fantastic for the staff and PCs. (I'm also having heart-pain because I'll be abroad this summer, potentially.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Zoe! I first started LARPing as a PC in a Wild West-era Werewolf theater-style game in college, but it was a(n awesome) pregenerated character. I'd been dragged to go--because I might not be "THAT nerdy"--and it was really fun. But I knew everyone there from our gaming club.

    So technically I started as a PC, but I NPC-ed my first full-weekend boffer LARP and then continued to NPC for the next four years or so. I usually suggest newbies NPC at least one game before jumping into PCing, especially if they're the type that's horrible at remembering the rules (like me). It's easier to whisper to your goblin friend that you didn't understand a call than to make another PC break game to explain something to you.

    The other reason to NPC first was sort of brought up already--if you're not really sure you're going to like it when you try it. NPCing is free most times, they feed you, you get to try out different roles to find out if you like to hit things more or roleplay more, etc.

    I admire people who can jump in with both feet and PC right away. I think they are a very special and very cool kind of people. Most people I've met needed a period of time to "acclimatize" themselves with the whole LARPing experience before devoting time and money to registration, costuming, rule reading, etc. NPCing can be a safe place for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. COCO! Yeah, I reiterate: Chris and I started PCing first. Loved it. Would have done most things differently. Again, I lot of people shame on NPCing first for unfounded anecdotes. You know your friends, fine. You do not necessarily know everything about LARP. Do what is easy and comfortable for people; don't let your experiences get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting thought on NPCing first, the cost associated with putting a PC together. I have staffed so much that I have a ton of costuming and thus that's not a concern to me, but I could see it being a compelling reason for many people. LARPers in general are not known for their affluence.

    Other than that, to me, knowing the staff members, how they think, seeing the whole running of the campaign before actually playing it would rub some of the magic off for me.

    I've played NERO first, then staffed it, then PCd it again.

    I've staffed Madrigal first, then PCd it.

    The games are still awesome to PC either way, but for me, staffing one first has taken a little something away.

    That being said, by the second or third time I PC a game, I'm so totally involved that the background stuff doesn't even stand out in my mind anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rick. You are the example of completely involved, jaded, and brilliant. I've got 3 right now, and I'm trying to play down some of the problematic stereotypes (it begins with a "g"). These guys do not have money, would probably be willing to help, and are confused and easy. Should the NPC first? Maybe. I need to hear their ideas first. They are smart. I am babbling.

      Delete