Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Aftermath

Contributor: Amanda/"Istamira"

Submission: The 4th and final in a series of IG and OoG written commentary from a "novice LARPer"
LARP System: Accelerant
Location: Boston, USA
PC Name: Istamira "Mira" Nascirus
Years LARPing: 0 years, 7 months 

Website: Istamira's Quill

In and out of character commentary from a novice larper. Character names, places, and sometimes even plot specifics may be changed or altered to protect readers from horrible knowledge that could threaten the very fiber of the universe! ... or something like that.






When all the costumes were packed away, all the tents and sleeping bags rolled, and all the Applebees food was eaten, it was time to say goodbye to player and NPC alike. When I got back home, everyone asked me what I thought. Practically everyone. From my boss to non-gamer friends to out of state relatives, everyone wanted to know about it. I had made no secret about the fact I was trying this. Maybe it was honest curiosity on their part... maybe it was morbid curiosity.... or feigned interest in my hobbies… regardless, everyone who asked received honest answers from me…

What is it like to play in a larp?

Well… it’s:
… like living in a movie for three days
… like walking around inside your favorite book
… like exercising, but you don’t have to “motivate” yourself to keep doing it
… like basking in creativity itself
… like stumbling into your own dreams
… like if you took your favorite graphic novel and made it out of diamonds,  sex, and super powers, then dipped all of it in dark chocolate, and had it served to you over a bowl of strawberry rum bisque aboard your own personal Caribbean cruise where the Captain periodically lets you take the helm to sail the ship to the Plane of Perpetual Joy … sorry, lost my train of thought there.

So yeah, it’s kind of like that. I guess you could say I liked it.

Would I Do It Again?

I think the better question would be why wouldn’t I do it again? No, as suspected and foretold, I’m hooked … with one of those Pike hooks where it has like three barbed prongs, and you can’t back it out of the mouth without a serious fight. In the weeks that followed the event, I’d even had several dreams about playing, fighting, etc. If that isn’t the sign of being hooked, I fear to know what is.

Would I Bring A Friend?

Of course. I’ve already been working on corrupting more victi…would-be players (successfully even). Ultimately I think it’s something a person has to  make up their own mind about though. I figure as long as I’m open about the fact I enjoy it, enthusiastic, and not pushy about it, I’ll continue to snag a few more folk. And if I don’t? It’s not the end of the world. There are more than enough great players and NPCs, so I’m sure I won’t be lonely.

Is it “Weird”? Are the people “weird”?

Weird is a word to describe something or someone that makes you uncomfortable. I admit I had apprehension going into it, but now? I would classify nothing and no one at the game as “weird”.

Not a single person was rude, creepy, or otherwise unpleasant. No one gave me any grief over anything. Do you know what their #1 rule is? It’s not “be in character” or “be a badass” or “be good at this”. It’s “be nice.” I’m a big fan of not using what is called “harsh words” towards others – insults, put downs, etc. After meeting these people I just can’t fathom how anyone would want to use harsh words towards any of them. They’re the nicest, most talented, most welcoming people you’re likely to meet in a lifetime.

As for the hobby itself… you know what? There are a lot of “weird” activities in this world that people don’t bat an eye at. No one thinks it’s weird that a bunch of grown men toss a leather ball around while wearing spandex and slapping each others' asses? There’s nothing unusual about sitting on the couch watching people you don’t know sing songs then hoping that some other people you don’t know will vote for the one you like? Flipping through magazines about over-seas royals that aren’t even yours isn’t just a teensy bit peculiar? Wrestling isn’t just a big man soap opera?

Actually don’t even get me started on soap operas. My newbie NPC friend said it best.

"I’m not sure how getting exercise in the great outdoors socializing with others is 'more geeky' than sitting on your butt in your basement checking facebook?"

Enjoy whatever rocks your casbah, but there’s just no good reason to belittle or bemoan the interests of others.
Someone asked me if my site's journal entries were password protected because I was “afraid” that non-larpers would find it, and make fun of it. Pff, really? Hate to break it to you, but if you’re on the internet at all, it’s too late, you’re already a nerd. The entries are password protected out of courtesy to my fellow players, who may not want their stories so readily visible to the world at large. The internet is not private, and it is forever. I’m pretty open about my “geeky” hobbies, and if asked, will own up to any of it freely. People seem to respect that approach.

2011 was my “year of trying new things”. Larping gets an A+ in my book, and I’m not afraid to say so to anyone who asks.

Here ends Amanda/Mira's non-fictive account of being a novice LARPer.


Start all over again!
Part Two
Part Three

I would like to write how grateful I am for her input. She's amazing, IG and OoG. As a fellow novice LARPer, I congratulate Amanda on her bravery in sharing her experiences. I hope she encourages other LARPers to get their work up on the blog. Amanda, I owe you IG and OoG.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reiterating. You're the best, and you're courageous. I LARP with you, and you bring something to the community that I admire. Thank you so much for putting yourself out there. (Also, Zephyr, but we'll get to him. Much left to think about.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more to agree with here than I care to reiterate. Such a great summation! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cwig

    Write something. You are so out and obsessed about LARPing, especially LARP stigma, that I think you should. I will edit it for you, if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you work with kids, in a professional medical setting, and talk about it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "like if you took your favorite graphic novel and made it out of diamonds, sex, and super powers, then dipped all of it in dark chocolate, and had it served to you over a bowl of strawberry rum bisque"

    This might be my favorite passage ever. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete