Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A New LARP Blog


Hello everyone,

The great Spring/Summer LARP marathon is done, and I'm soon jetting off to do some research in Japan. I intend to update, as it will be a nice way to stay in touch with everyone. Also, Japan is a big source of inspiration for a lot of my LARP aesthetics.

Stay tuned for a collaborative post from my good friend Anthony (on note taking), and, in the meantime, please check out a new Larp blog: LARP Theory from Scott. It's exciting to see all of these LARP blogs coalescing, so please show your support.

Be well,
Zoe

5 comments:

  1. I noticed cosplayers tend to put a LOT of beautiful effort into their costumes, I'd like to see that ethic spill over into larps a bit more.

    And thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two cosplayers who recently came into a larp I play-- their costumes all have a certain finished quality that a lot of other costumes larp. I agree-- I'd love to see some of that aesthetic become a more regular thing. I'm excited to work on Invictus, because there are some excellent costumers on staff.

      Delete
    2. There are two cosplayers who recently came into a larp I play-- their costumes all have a certain finished quality that a lot of other costumes larp. I agree-- I'd love to see some of that aesthetic become a more regular thing. I'm excited to work on Invictus, because there are some excellent costumers on staff.

      Delete
  2. Comparing Cosplayers and LARPer costuming ethics are like comparing apples to oranges. Cosplayers don't have to worry about running through the woods being chased by werewolves, sticking their arms into gross buckets of goo, falling into mud puddles, or any sort of that thing. LARPers have to balance comfort and style and most importantly, survivability in their outfits. I'm not saying its impossible (because I HAVE seen beautiful costumes in LARPs) but it is sometimes impractical to reach the Cosplayer level because of the usual things that happen to you in a LARP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant as far as aesthetics.

      I agree it's not easy, but using that as an excuse is limiting.

      Delete