Thursday, June 7, 2012

Theory Thursday: LARP Workshops

So, a mainstay of both conventions, faires, and Nordic Larp is workshops, lectures, and other "how-to's" concerning all things LARP. Activities can range from make-up to combat workshops to panels on game design. Following some conversations with similar-minded friends, I've been wondering how workshops might be applied to a smaller LARP setting. I think a one-day event, run by people within a singular system, would be a) a good way to bring people together, and b) a way to improve people's game. In my professional life, I workshop all the time: conferences are ways to listen to innovative thinkers (in my field), and learn valuable techniques. LARP is such an applied art form, that I think workshopping different things would be really beneficial. Here are some of the things I envision as being useful to the games I play:

- Durable Fantasy Make-up: I often see people at LARPs who not only sport fantastic make-up, but seem to apply make-up in a way that prevents smudges and runny streaks (even after a 3-hour grinder in light rain). Slowly learning through trial, error, and youtube videos has been my way-- it would be great to have a workshop on how to apply a range of make-up.
- Costuming Basics: I am not a sewer, nor do I have gobs of money to spend on costuming. I would love to learn where to look for cheap, functional, and attractive clothing. I think this would be especially beneficial for newer people, who may not want to invest lots of time and money into costume-finding.

- Acting Workshops: We all know the LARPer who does five phenomenal accents per event, has perfected the art of gesture, and can play any character, from heinous to pitiful. It would improve everybody's game if we could all learn some tricks-of-the-trade.

- Traps: I've always wanted to learn how to assemble traps and trap modules, but, as a hands-on person, videos don't really do it for me. There are some great trappers out there, and I, personally, would love to learn from them. And maybe even have a test module of a trapping event.

- Music Workshops: I'm always looking for short, accessible songs well-suited to a LARP. Also, as someone who loves to sing with others, I'm into this sort of thing.

- A Panel on Running a Monster Camp: If you've NPCed, you've probably been in excellent MCs and terrible ones. Getting together a group of staffers, all with Monster Camp experience, and asking them to share organizational tactics might be beneficial for everyone.

Alright, enough of my rambling...

Would you be interested in a one-day event geared totally towards LARP workshops relevant to your community? Have you ever participated in one? What sort of things would you want to see workshopped?

9 comments:

  1. The only one of these that I know of was the 7V fund raiser day. Along with a silent auction, they had people leading focus groups on the various aspects of LARPing.

    I co-lead the ones on Healer and Rogue. I'm sure there was one on Fighting and combat casting. Possibly with some sparing for visual aids. I know there was one on makeup.

    Ones I'd like to see are "talking to big NPCs" (aka releasing your inner info whore) and "field commander."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea. I wish I had been there for that. "Field commander" would be a good one. It's not a position I generally like to take, but I hate when battles totally fall apart because the usual leader is occupied elsewhere.

      From a staff perspective, I'd love to see a workshop on innovative between-event gameplay. As a player and as a staffer, I love in-between event skills: I think they really keep the game going, especially during the winter months. However, striking a balance between not so labor intensive and interesting can be difficult. I'd be interested to learn from more experienced staffers on the merits and flaws of various styles.

      Delete
    2. Keep your eyes open for the Cottington Woods fund raiser. To a certain extent, they're modeling it on the 7V event. Go give them ideas on things you'd like to see there.

      Delete
    3. I know *I'd* be thrilled for a Basic Traps and Locks module - for all the rogues I have ever played, I never quite got the hang of that. And it's redonk, because most of my friends do that stuff IN THEIR SLEEP.

      (And I'd be happy to run the Makeup or Acting ones, if a venue existed for such things... I love teaching stuff like that!)

      Delete
    4. I would love for you to run a Makeup/Acting module. In terms of acting, especially improv and expecting-the-unexpected: I think a lot of very good actor NPCs go out with great characters, but as soon as a PC hits them with a question out of left-field, some NPCs go completely flat.

      Delete
  2. There exists such a thing! Intercon has started an annual Precon- the Thursday night and Friday before the all-LARPing convention in March, there are all kinds of neat panels going on at the hotel.

    It was such a success that they're running a 3 day event this summer, starting on July 20th, in Chelmsford, Massachusetts.

    The New England LARP Conference 2012:

    http://nelco2012.concentral.net/events/1

    They're still looking for panel and workshop ideas, and there's also a build your own game event.

    Come for one day, or come for all three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I'll be in Japan this intercon-- I had considered going to it, after discussing some panel ideas with a longtime participant. Thank you for the link, though-- I'd love to see more stuff like intercon, though maybe even on a smaller scale. I would love to go-- unfortunately, I have a tendency to do fieldwork during convention season.

      Delete
    2. Pity! But I'm sure they'll still welcome any of your suggestions for the event in July.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see a boffer-making workshop. I've spent the past three years learning, bit by bit, how to make a decent boffer weapon. It'd be excellent to have an event where people who know their stuff help guide others in making their own boffer that's up to scratch with the ultralight fiberglass core stuff people are swinging around these days. A time and place to exchange tips and techniques for making lighter, safer, prettier, and more durable boffers can only be good for the community.

    Actually, while I'm thinking about it, wouldn't it be cool to have "LARPing Lite" sort of workshop, like a micro-event for people who want to try out the hobby? LARPing has a pretty high threshold for entry. If you're completely new to it, you have to buy a lot of stuff and allocate a lot of time before you even know if you like it. A mini-event that does a plainclothes sort of tutorial game could be a great way to bring in friends who are curious but aren't quite ready to dive headfirst into a game.

    Maybe something like this already exists and I just don't know about it. But if it doesn't exist yet, it should.

    ReplyDelete