Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cottington Woods: Searching for Inspiration

Many New England larpers are incredibly excited about Cottington Woods: the new dark fairytale game premiering this coming November. I am one of those people-- Cottington Woods, with its horror/fantasy theme, is, in many ways, everything I'm looking for in a larp. I already sent in my character concept, and I had a very good time designing the character. More interestingly, I had  fun searching for inspiration around which to design character.

My PC concept, named Corvus Corax Amanita, is a dark and eccentric woman from an established and morbid family. Since my character is not approved yet, I don't want to give away too much. However, I did want to share some of the things that helped me write and brainstorm Corvus. It just goes to show that inspiration comes in unexpected places:

1) The bird skull collection site
2) In the Company of Crows and Ravens
3) Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms
4) National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
5) The kusozu-emaki (no pictures, but, caution, graphic)

Where do you go for inspiration? What unusual things have you come across?

Stay tuned for next week: there will be ample features on Invictus and a spot on Kyranthia from the creators (they're having their first event this weekend).

2 comments:

  1. I recently read a science-fiction short story (in the Warriors anthology, edited by GRRM) about a religious zealot assassin. Wasn't terribly impressed, but it did make me think about creating a character in which the cliche of the evil religious zealot who is convinced they're Good is turned on its head- what about a Church assassin who actually is a good guy- who think for themselves and only accepts targets that actually deserve it?

    ...I thought about creating a Cottington Woods character out of it, but I don't think it will fit into a dark fairy tale. Maybe another LARP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking towards Niel Gaiman's graphic novel series "The Sandman" as a source of inspiration for modern interpretation of "dark fairy tale" genre.

    I also think some of Robert Holdstock's fiction, specifically Mythago Wood, is a great place to get that sort of vibe.

    ReplyDelete