Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Weapons: A New Perspective

Contributor: Chris Wilkins
Submission: Interview
System: Accelerant
Location: Cambridge, MA
Email: christopher.wilkins@gmail.com

Chris is relatively new to Accelerant, and weapons-making, but, in two years, has already made around 20 unique weapons. It's nice to be able to work with someone who can tailor a weapon to match my character's world. Moreover, Chris uses authentic archaeological designs to make his weapons match a flavor. Although some of the weapons are a bit bulkier, they are really fun to use-- especially is you have a character from a thematically specific universe.


How did you get into crafting weapons and weapon-making?
It all started back when I was a staff kid at summer camp. I worked under a college student, who played The Realms, and he brought his boffers to camp. Along with the boffers themselves, he had the rulebook which had detailed instructions within. The year after, I made a bunch of my own boffers out of PVC and duct-tape and electrician's tape and the closed-cell foam and thick, car washing sponges. Looking back on them now, they were kind of crap but serviceable... I played with these all the time, not LARPing, just boffing. It was tons of funs, and got me interested in the construction in general. After that, I took drafting classes. Years later, when I decided to play Madrigal, we needed weapons. So, following the Madrigal rulebook, I just started building new boffers, and I enjoyed it. The materials were entirely different-- much higher quality--, but the construction was the same. I started using kite tape. I paid more attention to specific aspects of the resources, like types of tape, thickness of materials, and that sort of thing. The only thing that didn't change in the construction was the strapping change... which is a bust.

What were your first Accelerant weapons, and how did they fare longterm?
I made two sabres, and a low-quality dagger. I also had some bad throwing weapons. After that Cleaveland MacChop. It's a lochabar, and it's too floppy. However, it was my first foray into researching the original weapons. I tried my best to duplicate the dimensions and the look of the original historical weapon, while making it as safe and too-code as possible.

After the lochabar two-hander, what other weapons have you done to match the specialized, unique style?
Well, I like my harpoons alot-- the single flute style. I did Tev's sword, which is based off a kilij. I designed a one-handed unseelie shaxe for Madrigal. I also did a one-handed sword modeled after Viking warriors.

How do you compensate for style and safety?
My priorities in designing and crafting a weapon go safety, style, and function. I don't feel any of my weapons are completely useless, but they're not solely designed to the fastest thing you can whip about. I'll use my spear as an example. I designed a spear to address safety concerns-- it has an exaggerated spear-tip, and has sort of a WoW feel to it. Very stylized. But, before making it, I'd heard a lot of negative comments about spears in combat-- safety problems. So I adjusted the design to make it better-- a well round tip, long thrusting sides. I haven't had any problems with it safety wise, and it looks really unique.

How do you feel about weapon styles you see?
I enjoy when other people create something unique and special. At Lost Eidolons, there is an anti-tank rifle polearm that is really cool. I really like the Ben Becker axe-heads-- the heads can be really tricky to not make floppy, and the technology he has is perfect for that sort of thing. However, I don't like when people make modifications that lower the IG integrity or safety of a weapon. In terms of IG integrity, I mean like excluding a decorative cross-guard for no reason other than it "weighs you down." In terms of safety, I mean weakening  the core of a weapon for speed, because weapons can snap. That just doesn't seem safe to me, and it kills the life expectancy on a weapon.

Can you elaborate about form and function?
One of the reason I don't like people valuing function, and by that I don't mean safety, over form is that LARP is not a competitive sport. You're not gonna win any money, trophies, or scholarship by being faster on strikes. You do contribute to the gameworld, however, if you make an authentic-looking weapon that adds to your character. It's part of your costume-- it would be like somebody wearing cleats, instead of boots, for the sole purpose of advantage (rather than cost or health reasons).

A lot of people don't have the time, space, or ability to make quality weapons. What questions should they ask a weapons maker?
A lot of games have approved weapons-makers, and you can ask the GM for a suggestion. In terms of safety, I don't like duct-tape weapons because they're heavy, the adhesive isn't long-lasting, when creased it gets sharp, and it doesn't freeze well. Also, like duct tape, I sort of don't like the fabric-covered blades. The tips gets loose, and the fabric wears down. However, it's really easy to replace the cover. However, I just haven't encountered that hassle with the kite-tape that I use. If you want simple claws, then comfort and safety are the only concern. In that case, feeling out the weapons ahead of time is the best idea. Durability is the biggest concern-- ask how long they're going to last. Also, ask if they use strapping tape. In my view, it's essential to the actual construction of the weapon. It adds strength you won't get by just using duct tape.

What if someone has acquired a basic, generic weapon that meets comfort and safety precautions? How would you suggest they customize the weapon?
It depends on the material-- I've seen people use electricians tape to make spirals and stuff. If you use the adhesive dacron kite/sail tape that I use, you can use paint pens or sharpies on it. You can do a lot of detail work, and get cool metallic patterns.

What are your plans for future weapons? What do you really want to make?
Right now I'm in the process of making a jian style sword-- pretty straightforward except for the crosspiece and hilt. I really wanted to make a two-hander double-glaive, and I got to do that. I'm open to suggestions and new projects. I really enjoy seeing authentic weapons, and figuring out how to make it boffer-safe.

Chris wants me to note that he has more to say if anyone is interested.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to take boffer-safe weapons and use them as a way to get kids engaged in history. I think battles are often a way to get a select amount of kids interested in history through warfare, but most kids have a limited interest in quantitative stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I quote a few of your blogposts as long as I provide
    credit and sources back to your site: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4531262207169459835&postID=9111721176395419380. I'm going to aslo ensure to give you the appropriate anchor text hyperlink using your website title: Blogger: CollabNarration: A Collective Narrative. Please make sure to let me know if this is ok with you. Many thanks
    my site - sharpen knife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Please feel free to quote and cite, and thanks for asking!

      Delete