Friday, March 2, 2012

Spotlight on Mirror, Mirror: Thoughts from a Cave

Contributor: Zoe
Submission: Thoughts from a Cave, fiction by Tev
LARP System: Accelerant-Mirror, Mirror
Years LARPing: 2

With the teaser released, the bags packed, and the happy band of (most anti-)heroes ready for adventure, I give you a somewhat anti-climactic end to the Mirror, Mirror spotlight. Check back in tomorrow for another post, and Sunday for a recap of the event. I'll also be posting something else from Beth about PELs-- even for those of us who have written dozens (or hundreds), a refresher is never a bad thing, especially if something goes horribly wrong in the first event of the season. But, for now? Thoughts from a Cave, by Tev.
IG entry for the character Mantevtarak (Tev) from "Mirror, Mirror." In which Tev enlightens us all to what it's like being a Tev.


Dear Cave,

The Shattered City has many problems. For instance, having one's home furnishings serving as (easily corrupted) portals to otherworlds seems cumbersome. Also, Stitched house-guests who insist on evicting you, and re-purposing your (superior) body parts... equally cumbersome. Also also, in the Shattered City, and surrounding territories, things with whiskers are not nearly as personable as one might think.  However, these issues-- while troubling-- are not nearly the most problematic parts of Shattered City life. No, we Shattered Citizens, especially those of us more recently initiated, have a much larger problem. Names and the naming of things.

As my comrades will note, in the Shattered City, recalling the names from our former lives and lands is quite agonizing-- impossibly so! However, this doesn't really concern me. I remember my name, Tev, and--sincerely?-- that's all that's important. Which leads me to the Shattered City's nomenclature dilemma(s). You see, in the Shattered City, there are simply too many names. Too many names with far too many syllables. I suggest a radical revision. Just rename everything the same thing.

This simple principle, easy to master, has served me well. I have many possessions, all of which have the same name: Tev. My weapons are named Tev. My pets are named Tev. My previous cave was named Tev. I'm named Tev. My pebbles are named Tev. My boots are named Tev. I haven't named my coinage yet, but it will probably be Tev-ed. Honestly, it makes life so easy. When I'm looking for someone or something, I go "Where's Tev?" Whatever I find generally satisfies this question. Now, given the laws of the Shattered City, I wouldn't suggest renaming everything "Tev." It would become confusing, and I would feel impossibly busy. Instead, I suggest renaming everything "Unicorn." I feel like it would serve our purposes well.

(I have, by the way, decided on a name for my new, between Marches, cave. It's Tev.)

Cordially,
Tev

p.s. I wouldn't bother naming children "Tev." For what it's worth.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Another fun and interesting character to look forward to interacting with.

    - from another being with whiskers who *is* personable ;-)

    ReplyDelete