Thursday, July 5, 2012

Theory Thursday: Non-Larping Influences

A quick announcement: as many of you know, I'm currently in Okazaki, Japan for the rest of the summer. I'm doing a fairly intensive language program, and, accordingly, won't have much time to update this blog. (Pictures and tales from not-so-old Japan here.) Accordingly, I probably won't have very much time to post new things other than questions for discussion. So, if you've been thinking about submitting something, please do so! Email any ideas to collabnarration@gmail.com.

Onto the question...

What non-LARP "proper" activities have influenced your LARPing style? Consider things like cosplay, theatre, vocal performance, reenactment, creative writing, and that sort of thing. What sort of non-LARP elements do you bring to the game from these activities? How has it positively influenced your game? Have there been any negative "side effects" from using non-LARP things within a LARP?

6 comments:

  1. One thing that influenced my getting into larping (but didn't actually improve it) was fencing. I have been part of a fencing club for a couple years before my first larp and when it came time to design a concept I naturally thought one sword would be no problem. I was quite wrong. Whilst fencing did help me learn to be light on my feet, judge distance well, and provide general fitness, the actual fighting style was of little help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I fenced in High school and college, but the first time I tried to fight with a boffer sword I couldn't deal with the differing styles. Boffer fighting just didn't make sense. Although knowing how to feint has proved useful.

      ~Patrick

      Delete
    2. I had a smidgen of fencing experience before I started boffering. I think the main contribution my fencing experience had was on my footwork reflexes and being able to make very fast, deep lunges without falling over or leaving myself too exposed. Beyond that, though, boffer combat is definitely it's own beast.

      In terms of RP, I had the benefit of taking a few improv classes when I was younger. Those experiences affected way more than my LARPing, but it has made me more comfortable in dealing with imaginary scenarios with limited information.

      Delete
    3. Improve is something I wish I had done more of pre-larp. When I first started larping sometimes it was the situation that unless I knew a lot of the background I could get a little flustered by the unexpected. Though with lots of opportunity to practice (and growing comfort with the ways and people involved) this has improved a lot.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, now that I think about it, I can't think of any activities that have influenced my LARPing (though I did take a semester of fencing and a semester of improv in high school.) Though the reverse is true: LARPing has influenced other activities in my life. I'm learning to sew with an eye towards costuming and set dressing (and there are other forms of arts 'n crafts that I've tried out or worked on thanks to LARPing.) I've also tried out a few different dance styles because of their usefulness in LARP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Larping ?
    Larping is an acronym for “Live Action Role Play” this skill is often times portrayed by many actress/actors. Larping is when a person act’s within a role of a character in which they are pretending, how to larp

    ReplyDelete